NO VOLUNTEER APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL AUGUST 1, 2014
We are currently transitioning to a new volunteer management system and cannot accept any volunteer applications at this time. Please check back here on August 1, 2014 for an update.
The School Board believes in providing opportunities for students to enhance their education through a variety of appropriate co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The Board recognizes that the community itself can be an excellent resource for such activities and welcomes the participation of community members who have special knowledge and skills that can add to the District's program. In order to ensure that activities recommended by or involving community volunteers in an instructional role are in keeping with District philosophy and will help students better accomplish the learning goals of the District's program, the Superintendent shall establish procedures for the approval of any activity involving community volunteers. All volunteers are subject to a background check by the Office of District & School Security. You must enter your Social Security number for this background check.
A "listed" volunteer is any person who is initially screened by the home school, completes the security check form and is subject to a criminal records name check. You must submit your Social Security Number for this background check. The volunteer's name is entered in a master district volunteer file as "listed". Listed volunteers are entitled to:
- Assist in the classroom
- Assist in sports/club activities
- Assist with booster activities
- Out of county field trips with two parents per group of students (one registered volunteer required)
- Local field trips with two parents per group of students (one registered volunteer required per-group of students)
A "registered" volunteer is any person who is initially screened by the home school, completes the security check form and is subjected to a criminal records check, including the submission of electronic fingerprints. The volunteer's name is then entered in a master district volunteer file as "registered". A "registered" volunteer must complete a background check. No person may engage in activities requiring "registered" status prior to clearance. Once cleared, registered volunteers are privileged to:
- Un-supervised access to students
- May travel alone with students, transporting students in their own vehicle without being part of a caravan
- Overnight field trips
- Completion of a Volunteer application in the VIPS database. This can be done at any school’s front office or at the District Office in Viera.
- Payment for fingerprinting is required prior to coming to District Security for fingerprinting.
- Fingerprinting Hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00am - 4:15pm.
- A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification Card must be presented. NO expired driver’s licenses will be accepted.
- This process takes approximately 8-10 business days.
- FEE $47.00 (as of 4/25/12) via Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or money order.